Circuit Breaker Credit for Senior Homeowners and Renters

There is a very important tax credit you should try to take advantage of. You may qualify if you are:

  1. 65 or over on or before December 31, 2015
  2. Own or rent in Massachusetts as principal residence

Your total income does not exceed:

  • single $57,000
  • married filing joint $85,000
  • head of household $71,000
  • your assessed real estate valuation does not exceed $693,000

To claim the Circuit Breaker Credit, you must file a Massachusetts state income tax return, even if you typically don’t file a return-and-include Schedule CB, the Circuit Breaker Credit form. You can file your tax return for FREE online through the Department of Revenue: Senior Circuit Breaker Credit 

If you need help, VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) helps low income and middle income people fill out tax returns for free. Call them at 1-800-906-9887. There are other options including AARP’s Tax-Aide program and you can reach them at 1-888-227-7669.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s